Powkiddy A20 is a 3.5 inch portable Android game console based on the same Amlogic S905D3 processor as that of Khadas VIM3L SBC, equipped with 2 GB of RAM, 8 GB of storage and support for 18 different emulators for games. It could also potentially be an interesting platform to play with AOSP, as we will see below.
Preliminary specifications of the Powkiddy A20:
- SoC – 1.9GHz quad-core Amlogic S905D3 Cortex-A55 processor with Arm Mali-G31MP2 GPU supporting OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.0 and OpenCL 2.0
- System memory – 2 GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – 8 GB eMMC Flash, MicroSD card socket
- 3.5 inch IPS screen with 640 × 480 resolution
- Micro HDMI port to connect to an external monitor or TV
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – 802.11 b / g / n / WiFi 4 and Bluetooth
- User input – Rocker buttons, D-Pad, A / B / C / D / X / Y, volume buttons and power button
- USB – 1x USB-C port for charging
- Battery – 3000mAh for approximately 3.5 hours of playing time
- Dimensions – 14 x 8.7 x 1.8 cm
- Weight – 185 grams
The console runs Android 9.0 operating systems and supports 18 kinds of simulation games including N64, DC, PSP, PS, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, FBA, NEOGEO, GBA, GBC, GB, SFC, FC, MD, PCE, mame and WSC. WiFi can be used to download games and Bluetooth can be used to add up to four controllers.
Note that with Khadas VIM3L being officially supported in AOSP, Amlogic S905D3 platforms could be designed to run the latest Android 11, or even the upcoming Android 12, but the company has gone for the Amlogic SDK, possibly for better support. and possibly Google services.
The Powkiddy A20 is not yet available, but should eventually be offered on the official Aliexpress store.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 part-time, before stepping down as head of software engineering and starting writing daily news and reviews full-time later in 2011.
Support CNX software! Donate via Pay Pal Where crypto-currencies, become a patron on Patreon, or buy sample reviews